Section maintained by Jason Skomorowski.
Here you will hopefully find some useful little tidbits of information that you were looking for, but couldn't find. If you have a tip that you think is worthy of inclusion, please submit it. For a similarly disorganised and eclectic tip listing (but longer) see Portico.
- Counting Files: How many MP3s do I have anyhow?
- net-pf Modules
- Things, especially Midnight Commander, whine about chmod/chown on a FAT partition
- Telling Linux Where Your Legacy SCSI Card Is (in This Case a Zip Zoom)
- Getting Fetchmail and Such to Start At Boot
- Compiling Software Packages
- Diagnosing Internet Connectivity Problems
- Figuring Out What's Using a Port
- Using kbdrate to change the auto-repeat speed on the console
- How to remove the evil "Shop" button and others
- Handy Shortcut for Pasting URL's into Netscape
- Getting Rid of the Annoying "about:" Screen
- The Trick to Creating RPM's from Binaries Directly
- RPM: What Are Those -devel Packages For?
- How to extract all the files from an RPM package
- Changing the Lilo Splash Screen in Redhat 7.0
Shell and Console
- Changing the Behaviour of the Tab Key and Stopping That Infernal Bleeping
- Binding Individual Keys or Sequences in BASH
- Running BIND as a Non-Root User
- Allowing Non-Root Users to Mount Filesystems
- How to Restart a Daemon